Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Soup... so comforting in the cold.

     Comfort food, mostly we think of things that aren't good for us when we think of comfort food. Soup, if made properly can be one of the healthiest foods and oh so comfortingly warm when it is cold outside. I found this soup on http://lipsmackinggoodness.blogspot.com:

Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup

3 cups broccoli, chopped
3 cups cauliflower, chopped
4 cups turkey broth
1/2 or whole onion
1 sm. potato, diced
4 oz. cheddar
1/2 c. milk
1 garlic clove, minced
pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

Saute onions until golden. Add broth, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower, and potato and bring to a boil in a 4 quart saucepan. Reduce heat, cook covered, 15 minutes. Remove about 1 cup broccoli and cauliflower pieces, set aside. Cook soup 10 minutes longer. Add shredded cheese and heat until melted Pour into blender and puree until very smooth. Return pureed soup to pan with reserved vegetables and heat through, but do not boil or cheese will curdle. Add milk, salt and pepper.

   I switched it around a bit for my lunch today to use things I have in the house. I used 1 cup skim milk instead of 1/2 cup and cheese. I used a bag of frozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrots as well as some frozen spinach (added in the last few minutes). I used dehydrated onion (boiled for a few minutes in water before adding anything else) and chicken broth. It came out great and by leaving out the cheddar it made it fit into the Simply Filling WW technique, and it tasted great! I didn't put this into the recipe builder, but since the milk and potato are the only thing with any quantifiable amount of points I would have to say it would be one or two PP per serving.

No comments: