Udon Noodle and Beef Soup4 servings
8 PP values per serving
* 8 ounces uncooked udon noodles (thick, round fresh Japanese wheat noodles) or spaghetti
* 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
* 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
* 2 (14 1/4-ounce) cans low-salt beef broth
* 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
* 3 tablespoons sake (rice wine) or dry sherry
* 1 tablespoon honey
* Cooking spray
* 2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 4 ounces)
* 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
* 8 ounces top round, thinly sliced
* 3/4 cup diagonally cut green onions
* 1 (6-ounce) bag prewashed baby spinach
Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
Place garlic, pepper, and broth in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
Combine soy sauce, sake, and honey in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and carrot; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in soy sauce mixture; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add vegetable mixture to broth mixture. Stir in beef; cook 2 minutes or until beef loses its pink color. Stir in noodles, green onions, and spinach. Serve immediately.