Thursday, February 17, 2011

Alterations

Well, as usual things don't go as planned. I had planned a lunch for Monday even though we go to the family center for lunch that day. Tuesday went as planned, aside from the fact that the kids didn't like their tuna pasta even though I made a white sauce for them. They ate some when I put ketchup in it, but there was a lot left. So, since I hadn't cooked the chicken to make chicken salad I decided to make chicken nuggets on Wednesday for lunch. Just dipped them in egg white and then into corn flake crumbs with some italian seasonings in it. Yummy, kids loved em. Ended up making only green bean casserole for dinner that night. Here is how I did it:

Can Free Green Bean Casserole

Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil
8 oz pkg mushrooms (your choice)
1 medium potato
4 tbsp dehydrated onion, or 1 small onion chopped
3/4 cup fat free chicken broth
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk reconstituted with half the water called for on the package or 6 oz evaporated milk
1 1/2 pounds fresh or frozen green beans, cooked
2 slices whole wheat bread

Directions

Cook green beans to desired texture. Lightly toast bread now (if not easily crumbleable). Remove bottoms of mushrooms and rip apart or slice mushrooms, dice potato. In a 2 quart saucepan heat up olive oil then saute mushroom pieces and potato. Add chicken broth and half of the dehydrated onions, then bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until potato is mushable. Preheat oven to 350 F. Use an immersion blender or pour contents of saucepan into a blender and blend. Add reconstituted dry milk and mix together. Put green beans into a baking dish. Pour mushroom mixture over them, crumble bread over to cover and sprinkle the remaining dehydrated onions. Bake for 15 minutes or until topping is browned. Makes 6 servings. 4 PP value per serving.
Nutritional Info
  • Calories: 136.6
  • Total Fat: 3.3 g
  • Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
  • Sodium: 145.0 mg
  • Total Carbs: 23.6 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 4.3 g
  • Protein: 5.3 g                    
I was inspired by a recipe that my mother sent me from Veggie Venture.  I'm sure it's not as good as her's since I left out things like butter, but.... I also got some ideas for this recipe from an ehow post on how to make Cream of Soups.

    No comments: