Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Apple Crisp

I looked around for a fat free version of apple crisp, and found them, but they all still had a ton of sugar in them, so I decided to try my hand at inventing something. This blog had the closest thing that I found to what I wanted so I left out the sugar, upped the applesauce and came up with this:

Ingredients:

6 apples cored, peeled and sliced
1 cup regular or quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup oat bran or wheat bran
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
2 teaspoons ground ginger, divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom of an 8X8 pan with cooking spray. Place apples in the bottom pan. Sprinkle half the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and vanilla on the apples. In a medium bowl mix together the remaining ingredients. Spread oat mixture over the top of the apples and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the apples are soft. Makes about 6 servings

Other possible add ins: sugar substitute, sugar-free maple syrup, ground nuts, dried fruit, wheat germ, flax seed, or anything else you think would go well.

It's in my little convection oven right now, and it smells great!

2 comments:

Miriam said...

Put it into WW recipe builder (had to leave out the apples since it added 2 points per serving even though they are free) and it was 2 points per serving.

Miriam said...

Max says "YUMMY", Maggie likes the apples, but is not a huge fan of the crisp part. I like it, but I can definitely see why people use sugar. I think next time I make it I will add some sort of sugar substitute, but there definitely will be a next time.